Brant has spent his career representing workers in class action lawsuits and in individuals cases involving claims for disability and sexual orientation discrimination, retaliation, and failure to pay wages. Prior to joining Fair Work, he was the senior associate at one of New England's leading employee-side class action firms, where he worked on cases involving tips and service charges, unpaid overtime, and the misclassification of exotic dancers and cleaning workers as independent contractors.
Brant has worked on several groundbreaking cases challenging systemic wage abuses in the exotic dancing industry, improper sharing and distribution of tips and gratuities at restaurants and coffee shops, misclassification of cleaning workers as independent contractors, and failure to pay overtime. In addition to his class action work, Brant has successfully resolved individual cases involving claims for discrimination and retaliation.
Brant has pursued cases in state and federal courts and in private arbitration, and has authored briefs in a number of cases for appellate courts, including the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, the Hawaii Supreme Court, and the United States First Circuit, Second Circuit, and Third Circuit Courts of Appeals. Several of these cases have resulted in landmark decisions, such as rulings that managerial shift supervisors could not participate in tip pools with baristas at an international coffee shop chain and that service employees in Hawaii had the right to recover unpaid service charges from the hotels where they worked.
Brant currently lives in Medford with his wife, who is a librarian, and a Boston Terrier.
- Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 2008
- Northeastern University
- A.B. - 2003
- Litigating Wage and Hour Class Actions: Hybrid Actions
- ABA Labor and Employment Law, 3rd Annual CLE Conference
- Cunha v. Avis Budget Car Rental, LLC, 221 F. Supp. 3d 178 (2016), D. Mass.
- Carpaneda v. Domino's Pizza, Inc., 89 F. Supp. 3d 219 (2015), D. Mass.
- Travers v. Flight Services & Systems, Inc., 737 F.3d 144 (2013), First Circuit
- Binienda v. Atwells Realty Corp., 2018 WL 6266784, 2018, D.R.I.
- Goldberg v. EF Education First, Inc., 34 Mass. L. Rptr. 399, 2017, Mass. Super.
- Speaker on panel concerning independent contractor misclassification, Boston Bar Association, October, 2017 to 2017
- Speaker concerning changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act, and other wage and hour developments, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, December, 2016 to 2016